Menu

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

THE NEXT BIG/BEST THING blog hop

I feel grateful and honored to have been invited to participate in "The Next Big Thing" blog hop by Kristen Strassel and Julie Hutchings over at deadlyeverafter.com and in "The Next Best Thing" blog hop by Mari Wells via her blog. Since the questions are the same, I'm going to cheat and participate in both blog hops with the same post. Thanks in advance for not stoning me to death.

What is the working title of your book?
I have three current works in progress: Awakening 2, The Pirate Queen, and a third novel that has yet to reveal its title to me.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Awakening 2 is the second book in the Lilly Frank series. The idea for the series came to me when I was living in Spain. Lilly starting out as a bumbling assassin for hire, but obviously the story has changed a lot since then. I did know that it was going to be a trilogy from the moment I started working on it.

As for The Pirate Queen, I was meditating one day on this amazing little flower my friend had given me that has a really unusual name. I was trying to imagine what kind of character a person with this name might be, and suddenly I knew she had to be the captain of a pirate ship. The rest of the story started unfolding from there.

The untitled one is the result of some freewriting I did about a boy I had a crush on when I was younger. It started out as non-fiction but soon took on a life of its own.

What genre does your book fall under?
Awakening 2 is a vampire romance set in New York City and various European locations. 

The Pirate Queen is a historical pirate romance set in the Caribbean. 

The untitled one is a contemporary romance set in New England.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oh gosh! I have no idea. I don't often see romance novels turned into movies, so luckily I'm free to imagine my characters as they are rather than as Hollywood actors. ;)

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Oh my goodness, this is difficult! Okay, giving it a shot. This is a good exercise, actually. *Clears throat*

Awakening 2: While Lilly struggles to adjust to her new vampire senses, Torren tries to keep her safe by tracking down a killer with whom he's crossed paths before and who he fears might be after Lilly.

The Pirate Queen: When Captain Quin, Pirate Queen, "rescues" the handsome captain of a merchant ship from his sinking vessel, it's far from love at first sight; but as they become better acquainted, sparks of a different nature begin to fly, and Quin fears she may have to choose between her ship and her lover. 

Untitled: Serran Winters--high school English teacher by day, romance novelist Jane Garfield by night--runs into an old flame while on tour (and in disguise) with her latest book; she's determined to discover his true feelings about her--without giving away who she is--while preventing him from reading his recently-purchased copy of her book, a fictionalized account of their relationship that reveals not only her feelings for him but her fantasies.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I will definitely be self-publishing Awakening 2, just as I did with Awakening.

I have not decided yet whether to seek representation for the others. Would love your input on this, actually!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Hah! Good one. I don't have finished first drafts of any of these yet. I will tell you that, with Awakening, it took four years to write the first 25 pages and seven days to write the rest of the first draft.

I plan to finish the first draft of Awakening 2 by late spring 2013 and publish it in the summer. I haven't yet thought about deadlines for the other two. Part of me wants to just let them come in their own time. The other part of me knows that I need a deadline to make it happen. So we'll see.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I'm sure it would help book sales if I could say, "If you liked ___, then you'll love my book!" But honestly? I make a concerted effort to write something different from what I've already read. I'm always trying to see how far I can bend the rules of the genre and get away with it.

But fine. If I had to choose, I would say that the Lilly Frank series is most like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Only, you know, pretty different. ;)

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Awakening was originally inspired by Janet Evanovich's One for the Money and by Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary. As I said, it's changed a lot since its inception.

In general, I am inspired to write romance by two main factors: first, an early introduction to the genre at about age 9 or 10 via snooping in my grandmother's things and finding her extensive collection of Harlequin romances; second, by a growing awareness of the ways in which romance novels perpetuate very traditional (and to some extent I'd say harmful) ideals of femininity and womanhood. I love the genre, and I see exciting potential--especially due to its popularity--to see it step into the 21st century and start portraying alternate models of femininity and female sexuality that do not depend on women being smaller, weaker, and less rational than men.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Hmm. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll tell you what I like about them: hot sex scenes, strong feminist characters, and atypical endings.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing the blog hop. I learned a little more about you, and have realized I need another strong FM MC, stat! I have one—I love her, she's great!—but I need another to get my site in balance, after PH. So thank you for that. I love it when you get my gears spinning, good things so far have always come of it.

    ~CLS~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! Where is this feminist MC? I wanna read! And when you write the next one, I wanna read that too! :) Thanks for checking out my post.

      Delete