Menu

Sunday, February 3, 2013

4th ROW80 check-in

Gah! Oh my goodness, are we already four weeks into this Round of Words in 80 Days?! I am a complete slacker.

On a more positive note, I drew up a contract with a friend of mine that says if I don't give her at least 600 words of Awakening 2 each week, I'll owe her $5. That's $5 for each week missed. So guess what I did this week? That's right! I wrote 879 words of Awakening 2! Okay, please keep in mind that it's really really REALLY rough. And who knows whether  what I wrote this week will end up in the final draft...BUT I WROTE IT! Yay!

Here's a little excerpt. Hopefully it isn't too painful.

The woman bent down and studied Lilly’s face. “Oh, Torren. You didn’t.” 
Lilly didn’t understand the tone of voice. Sad and accusatory at the same time. Laced with profound disappointment. 
“You have no right to lecture me, Beth,” said Torren through gritted teeth. “It was as much for her as it was for me.” 
Beth pressed her lips together and gave Torren a cold stare. Then she turned back to Lilly, her eyes suddenly warm again. “How are you holding up, Lilly?” she asked softly. 
Tears sprang to Lilly’s eyes. “It’s so overwhelming.” Her voice came out in a whisper. “And there’s no escape. I can’t escape it.” 
Beth reached out toward her. Lilly flinched, but Beth only took a lock of Lilly’s long hair between her thumb and fingers and rubbed in a circular motion. Lilly could hear the strands of hair rubbing against one another. Could feel the small vibrations at her hair’s roots. Gentle and oddly soothing. 
“If you ever need anything, Lilly, you can come to me. I’ll help. No strings attached.” Beth shot Torren a sharp sideways glance that Lilly again failed to understand.

And by next Sunday? At least 600 more words of the draft. I'd also like to do some planning this coming week, since I totally slacked on that goal from two weeks ago.

6 comments:

  1. Freakin SWEET! This means A2 is in progress and we are all a little closer to seeing the next chapter with Torren and Lilly.
    WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one who's excited about AWAKENING 2! :D Thanks for reading & encouraging me with your enthusiasm.

      Delete
  2. Jeanie,
    Your writing is very crisp. I am an admirer of your style. I have but a single complaint: I WANT MORE! ; ) I looked over at the scroll bar and was excited. It looked like you put 2 or 3 pages up. It was other posts fooling my silly hopeful eyes. I love your work. Keep it up.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Chris. I only wrote 859 words this week, but I'll continue to posts excerpts over the next few months. Eventually you *will* have several pages of material to read. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. I do like the 'contract' that would get me writing:) as a matter of interest is Awakening (1) protected as a kindle book can't remember what's it called - am looking to buy it but dont have a kindle and I want to load it on my sony reader which i can do if its not protected:) please could you drop by and tell me - am reading ebook, new authors and indies for book challenges this year so am starting with the talented ROW80 mob:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the threat of having to pay someone $5 each time I don't meet my (very reasonable) goal is motivation enough to at least produce 600 words of crap each week...which is better than 0 words!

      Thank you for your interest in AWAKENING! Right now it's only available as a Kindle eBook. I'm not sure whether it's protected--how would I find that out? If you have a book review blog I could send you a review copy as a PDF. If you're interested in that, just email me a link to your book review blog. :)

      Delete