Menu

Sunday, February 17, 2013

6th ROW check-in

This week it took me about 14 hours of procrastination, two shots of tequila and one hour of actual writing time to produce this week's 620 words toward a draft of Awakening 2. I think I'm getting better?

This week's excerpt from Awakening 2, the second book in the Lilly Frank series:

“Well?” Torren said when they’d made their way to the far side of the castle. “What’s wrong? What can we do?” 
“We? What do you expect me to do, Torren? This is your doing,” Beth said in an accusing tone. 
Torren frowned and furrowed his brow. “You have the gift of Inner Sight, Beth. That’s why I called you here. She won’t talk to me, but you can tell me what she needs. Please. What does she need? I want to help her.” 
Beth studied his face for a moment and then nodded. Her face relaxed. “Buy her a sensory deprivation chamber. Make sure she uses it for four hours a day. She needs a break from all the stimulation.  Her gift is coming through in her hearing, and it’s scaring her to death. She hears everything within a mile. I mean everything. She can hear the grass growing. Can you imagine? No, you can’t. She can no longer tell how far away a sound is made. The termites gnawing the beams in the lower levels of the castle are as clear and loud as a person biting into a granola bar right next to her. It’ll take her some time to adjust, and in the meantime it’s going to be painful for her. If she doesn’t get a break every now and then, she’ll go insane. Literally.”

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to these Jeanie. I can't wait for the entire story to come out...
    Please write faster lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *huffs & puffs as if has just run a marathon* I'm writing as fast as I can!

      Delete
  2. Jeanie, I think my rate is about 28 hours of procrastination, so I'd say you're doing pretty well. :)

    I hope you have a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth - Hahah! Well it was 14 hours within a 48-hour time period that I was supposed to be writing but wasn't, so I guess it depends on how you figure it. ;)

      Thanks so much for the comment. It's so encouraging to know that people are reading these posts. Makes me want to keep writing them!

      Delete
  3. You've definitely piqued my interest, there. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate - both for letting me know you read and for showing me which homophone to use in the expression "pique my interest"! Is it peek, pique or peak? I've been wondering about that for AGES! :D

      Delete