Menu

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Progress on anything?

Oh, wow. I totally suck at writing blog posts. It's been a month, people! Four weeks to the day since I last posted...which means four weeks to the day that I actually did jack shit toward any of my WIPs. Crap.

I have excuses, of course, but you don't need to hear them. And actually, now that I think about it, I did make some progress on Nick + Serran. Ooh! Wait! I think I may have made more progress over this last month than I remember! Let's look at word counts, shall we?

Awakening 3 - Last update: 570; Current: 746 + brainstorming w/ my developmental editor (goal = 40,000)

Nick + Serran - Last update: 10,786; Current: 11,826 + some research & brainstorming w/ my developmental editor (goal = 50,000)

The Pirate Queen - Last update: 1,163; Current: 1,238 + some character exploration (goal = 80,000)

So it seems that I did, in fact, make some progress on all three. I just haven't been blogging. Yay! Better a little something than a lot of nothing, right? ;)

I've also been making very slow progress toward the first drafts of two short stories, "Kiss the Bride" and "Test Drive," which I hope to finish by the end of 2013. I have the complete ideas for both stories and even think I know how they end, but it's a matter of finding time to actually sit down to type them out. And then to edit them. But I'll get there.

No update would be complete without an excerpt, right? How about part of a character interview I'm doing with HG, the heroine from The Pirate Queen, in an effort to get to know her better?

JG: How do you define love? 
HG: It’s a feeling more than anything. An aching heart, but in a good way. It’s a sense of wanting to protect someone, the way I want to protect my crew. You want them to be healthy and whole and - if possible - happy. You miss them when they’re gone.

JG: What are you afraid of? 
HG: Prison. Getting captured. Being sold into slavery. Also afraid of losing any of my crew. Afraid of being in a position that doesn’t let me choose my own destiny. I’m willing to take on the responsibility in exchange for the freedom. Lastly, I'm afraid of falling in love, because I associate it with a loss of freedom/self. I saw what it did to my mum, and even though I was close with my father and loved him very much, he didn’t return her feelings in the same way, didn’t depend on her as much as she did him, and I saw how hard that was for her. How much she gave up to be with him. She would not have chosen to travel so much; she really wanted to be in the comfort of her home country and with her family. And when they traveled, he was often away from the house for most of the day, sometimes even for days at a time, and all she had was me and the servants. It wasn’t fair to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment