Menu

Friday, September 26, 2014

Guest post: How vampire author Julie Hutchings likes her vamps

Ok, so, as if it weren't exciting enough to be kicking off a guest post series about vampires with a characteristically fun, honest and witty post by friend Julie Hutchings, author of vampire NA romance books Running Home and Running Away, today also happens to be the release day of Julie's second novel, Running Away*nearly hyperventilating with excitement* And I get to participate! :D

First let me tell you about this new guest post series. I asked six writers of diverse vampire fiction to answer the questions, "How do you like your vampires & why? If vampires are a metaphor, what are they a metaphor for?" Over the next six Fridays I'll be posting their responses, with the last coming on Halloween! I'm looking forward to learning from my fellow vampire authors and sharing their perspectives with you. And now for the first post in the vampire series...

Guest post by Julie Hutchings

I want a couple of things. I want to live forever. And I want the kind of all-consuming love that makes my heart stop with every breath he takes. He'd be poetic, sensual, brilliant and brooding. He'd be possessive and protective of me, absorbed in me. YEAH, I WANT THAT. I want love that's dark and sexy, comfortable and soulful. I want someone who sees me in a way no one else does. And I want it FOREVER.

So if vampires are a metaphor, and all icons are in one way or another, then they're a metaphor for never losing what we love most. And of course for victory over the one thing we can never have victory over: death. Vampires are the sexifying of our battle for a meaningful life, AKA one filled with love, and our battle with the inevitability of losing that love to death.

I like my vampires to reflect that eternal struggle and the deep need for passionate, reckless, at times sinister love. They need to be darker than just “I don’t like to kill people.” Nope. Vampires should have a deadly side and a conscience that barely keeps it at bay. Angel versus Angelus in Buffy, for instance. Brooding, never entirely happy even before the curse on his soul. And that evil side is just always a heartbeat away.

More than Angel, I was always a Spike girl. A brokenhearted poet, a badass with a heart of rust. The ultimate gray area that we all want to explore. In the same vein, (sorry), Eric Northman wins out over Bill Compton. Bill’s tendency to be the good guy didn’t draw me in as much as the feeling that Eric could be “fixed,” but never completely. The bad boy always wins in the end. Lestat was more my vampire than Louis was. I saw the beauty in Louis, of course, but Lestat knew how to have fun with his evil. As sick as that might be, I don’t want a vampire that hates his existence. I want a vampire that recognizes the beauty in darkness and immortality, no matter what it costs him.

Of course, my original love was Dracula. Death, romance, incomprehensible evil that he owned as much as he was victimized by. My favorite Dracula was Gary Oldman. I don’t care who you are; there isn’t a woman on earth who doesn’t want someone to need them as much as he needed Mina. It showed in every movement he made. Gorgeous. For as terrible as he could be, that emotion for her was so intense it was intoxicating to watch. If someone loved you that way, could you not forgive them for whatever else they’d done? OH, JUST ME THEN?

I know what you’re burning to know.

Edward.

Yes, I love Edward. I love Edward even more than Jacob, though it would seem Jacob’s more my kind of guy, right? Edward, even before he was Robert Pattinson, which just sealed the deal for me, was the sensitive boy with the burning passion for one girl. THAT GIRL PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME. His dark side is a little different in that he’s just a creep and a half. Yeah, I like a creep. I mean if he were ugly, probably not? But he was gorgeous and well-spoken and that whole star-crossed lovers thing gets me every time. (And if you’ve read RUNNING HOME, you know I have a thing for fate and love that hits a little left of where it should.)

In short, I like my vampires to know better but not always do better. I want them to kick ass and like it. I want them to want me more than sunlight. And if they’re a little twisted, that’s okay too.

Running Away Release Day!


Book Name: Running Away (The Shinigami series, #2)
Book Genre: New Adult Paranormal Romance
Book release date: 9/26/14 by Books of the Dead Press
Running Away (Book #2) on Goodreads
Running Home (Book #1) on Goodreads

Book Synopsis
Eliza Morgan is desperate to escape the horrors of her mortal life and understand why death follows her, leaving only one man, Nicholas French, in its wake. He’s the one she loves, the one she resents, and the one fated to make her legendary among the Shinigami– an ancient order of vampires with a “heroic” duty to kill. He’s also decaying before her eyes, and it’s her fault.

On the ghostlike mountaintop in Japan that the vampires consider home, Eliza will be guided by the all-powerful Master for her transition to Shinigami death god. When Eliza discovers that sacrificing her destiny will save Nicholas, she’s not afraid to defy fate and make it so—even when Nicholas’s salvation kills her slowly with torturous, puzzle-piece visions that beg her to solve them. Both Nicholas and his beloved Master fight her on veering from the path to immortality, but Eliza won’t be talked out of her plan, even if it drives the wedge between Nicholas and her deeper.

Allying with the fiery rebel, Kieran, who does what he wants and encourages her to do the same, and a mysterious deity that only she can see, Eliza must forge her own path through a maze of ancient traditions and rivalries, shameful secrets and dark betrayals to take back the choices denied her and the Shinigami who see her as their savior. To uncover the truth and save her loved ones, Eliza will stop at nothing, including war with fate itself.

About the Author Julie Hutchings
Julie’s debut novel, Running Home, giving you vampires with a Japanese mythology pants-kicking, is available through Books of the Dead Press. Julie revels in all things Buffy, has a sick need for exotic reptiles, and drinks more coffee than Juan Valdez and his donkey combined, if that donkey is allowed to drink coffee. Julie’s a black belt with an almost inappropriate love for martial arts. And pizza. And Rob Zombie. Julie lives in Plymouth, MA, constantly awaiting thunderstorms with her wildly supportive husband and two magnificent boys.

Julie on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HutchingsJulie
Julie’s Blog: http://deadlyeverafter.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeadlyEverAfterBlog
Julie on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7104966.Julie_Hutchings

Other books by Julie & Buy Links
Running Home on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment